5.10.2017

Spring House Tour! {my very own}


Let's face it, I don't get asked to do home tours anymore. I am hardly a blogger, and that's a-ok with me.  Don't get me wrong - I love that I can come on here, on my own terms and write and share - because I really, really enjoy writing and I am only now semi-comfortable with sharing photos of my home.  What?  

Let me explain. Back when I started blogging, I think in 2008, I shared photos of my home {I cringe!...}....but blogging has cha-cha-changed a whole lot.  Bloggers now hire professional photographers, are changing and rearranging monthly, semi-monthly, annually their furniture. art, pillows, houses! {not realistic in our lives}. Posts are filled with sponsored content, they are making up crap just to have fresh content - staging a 'Mother's Day Tea' tablescape, decorating for Christmas in October (then complaining in early December when their tree is dried out), linking to affiliates and don't even get me started on the hashtag 'contests' on IG......it all makes my head spin.....I can't keep up with that, nor do I want to, and NEVER, EVER do I want anyone to feel less than because they don't have what I have or do what I do and well, sometimes {no offense to these 'professional' bloggers} that's what I am often left feeling when I read blogs or scroll Instagram these days.  And Pinterest has reminded us "Comparison is the Thief of Joy" for goodness sake! And I mean no offense, this is the way these talented {and ENERGETIC} women choose to make money and I am all for women being entrepreneurial and pursuing what they are passionate about....and if it makes you some money, well, YOU GO GIRL!  What I am saying is this, the new model is not for me - I like my blogging like I like my home accessories......vintage.

Now, to appear to be a complete hypocrite, I give you a look into our home, in it's current state, shot this morning, by yours truly because it was semi-clean, I was home on a Tuesday morning {rare} and it was sunny in Portland {VERY rare these past 4 months}.  



What can I say about these photos?  Lots has changed in the six years we have lived in this house - but the big pieces of furniture have remained - I know those dark leather chairs aren't necessarily 'on trend' or are even something I would recommend to a client.  However, they are comfortable, work well for our family, are high quality and we paid a pretty penny for them about 10 years ago!  I don't hate them but I don't love them either -I decorate around them and right now, their function trumps their form.



My bookshelves have changed about 1,425,973 times during out time this house.  I cringe when I log onto Pinterest and see an early photo of these shelves that someone actually pinned! Needless to say, my styling skills have come a long way baby!  I am liking where they are today.  


There are a couple things that I do seem to 'invest' in that bring me instant gratification when I am itching for a change - art {either new or vintage} and rugs {vintage are my favorite}.  Theses are two items that bring soul to your home and add some personality - especially if you choose vintage.  Just my opinion.


I can't believe I am going to confess this but, here it goes......I have been tempted to paint this pine armoire!  I don't think I will ever have the guts to do it but I think it would look great a matte black with the interior painted a fun color like pink or coral or blue.....Don't worry, I won't, I don't think....



Like my faux peonies?  To all my clients who I make suggest to eliminate all the faux greenery from their homes, know that I am hanging my head in shame over this photo.....  I bought these peonies at the wholesale flower market in a moment of weakness and optimistic delusion that they could indeed pass for real.  I am in need of a trip to Trader Joe's or the farmer's market STAT.  



So there you have it friends - I have missed you, missed doing this....Please know my intent is to inspire .... pure and simple.  

I have thought a lot about 'connections' lately, in terms of my real life mostly - with friends, neighbors, parents, community, clients.....what I have come to realize is that connections are important to me, Lately, I have made a conscience effort to connect more. My introvert tendencies, I know, have kept me from knowing wonderful people.  And let's face it, these days, so many of our connections are on social media.  But I really value the connections  I make with friends and in recent years, with my clients - I KNOW with great certainty that it is why my little business has been successful. 

I can't say that I haven't been disappointed when a connection has been lost or not made like I hoped, but I will forever be a 'connector'.  Thus, this space is important to me - we come here with common interests, a connection.  I don't take that for granted, thanks for sticking around, especially if you have been here since 2008 and endured all the grainy photos, hypocrisy and random babbling {including today}.....
40 comments on "Spring House Tour! {my very own}"
  1. I have been a blog reader forever and although I feel I know the ladies behind the blog, clearly they don't know me. Kind of an odd concept but that is social media. I find myself on IG a lot and at first I enjoyed it because there were no ads but with "like to know it" it is now ALL ads just cleverly disguised by my "friends." I understand that people do this as their job but I feel a bit used by some of my virtual friends. Just tell me where your shirt came from!😄 Your home is lovely and always an inspiration as someone who didn't sell out...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our homes should be a reflection who we are and our family who lives in our home every day. I love my home because it is us, cozy, comfortable, not grey with white upholstered furniture. I love that your home looks loved and lived in and cozy. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the "love" just casually sitting on the table..... And that armoire! Beautiful room....

    Just this week I kind of freshened up our home with things I already owned, just used in a new way. It's my favorite so far..... but do you think we thought the same thing when we placed things the way they used to be? Of course we did.... "Creators gonna create." - (I need that bumper sticker!) We may be satisfied with our surroundings now but that itch to give our eyes and our hands something new to see or use in a new way will come. It always does!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jill, if I were not on the way to pick up my daughter from college, I think I would turn my car around and drive straight from Virginia to Portland to give you a huge and say THANK YOU. Every-single- thought -every word you have shared has bounced around my brain and I have felt that perhaps there was something lacking me that I had lost something ...some excitement in blogging...was I becoming cynical - asking why does everything look the same...and thinking f I see one more...you name it...but no - we have indeed been hijacked and in some brutal twist of fate we probably in some way helped the hijackers break into our car!!!!! Alas...I still love rearranging my furniture and finding the perfect pink so I will carry on - buoyed by the knowledge that I am NOT alone!!!! Thank you!
    PS check your email - you have a surprise coming!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lesli - it has been fun to connect this week! Hope you make it to Portland someday!
      xo~Jill

      Delete
  5. I'm glad you decide to post your home tour. I really enjoyed it and did get inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Jill. Just wanted you to know I really enjoyed this post and I agree with so much of what you wrote. I don't like trends, I don't agree with changing everything in one's home every couple of months and I don't like blogs with lots of ads. I like your home very much. It's personal and cozy and stylish. I would beg you not to paint that beautiful pine piece (is it an antique?). I would never have known the flowers were not real if you hadn't admitted it. They look pretty darn realistic! I love the art over the fireplace and adore the patterned rug over the natural fiber rug. I think the dark leather chairs look great, especially the contrast of them against the white sofa and bookcases. Very nice! Thanks for sharing your home with us. I hope you'll continue to post more photos of your home.
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  7. love your authenticity! Beautiful tour.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jill, I love your home tour but I love your honesty more. I love your blog because it is real and relatable. I quit following many blogs because of the things you have described. Thanks for being who you are and know that you are inspiring others.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am not a blogger but I read many blogs and I know exactly what you are describing. I don't blame you one bit for avoiding that rat race (even though I admit drooling over gorgeous pictures!). Stick to your way; it's almost always best!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've always thought your house was pretty. I love the way you layer rugs, and I am inspired by the way you have leather chairs with your white slipcovers. I'd like my shelves to look like yours. Re: the faux peonies, though... we have cats (my daughter brought home a kitten when she moved back home, and I've had a lap cat for years) and they like to chew fresh flowers, so it's faux or nothing for me. What I heard in your post is that that's tacky, though. I have a faux fern in a little urn and I really think you've got to touch it to tell it's not real, and I'm still hunting for faux hydrangeas that aren't $20 a stem, so I squint a little and enjoy my faux hydrangea stems. Re: blogging, I agree with you completely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, home, and talent through your blog. I really appreciate the "old" style of blogging that your do too, even though I understand that blogging to make money is great and works well for many bloggers. Your home is beautiful, and I'll be ready to read the posts whenever they show up in my email. I can also appreciate the importance of connections and am a fellow introvert.:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your home is lovely and I have always admired it. It is refreshing to read your blog and I appreciate the fact that it is 'real' and also it's nice to not have to dodge ads all over the photos. There are a few blogs left out there like yours, and I appreciate them so much and follow them by email..thank you for your refreshing content. (PS - your home really is beautiful )

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jill--always happy to see an update from you. I've always loved your house. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emily - right back at you - you are a true PRO, with a side of grace, poise and class!
      xo~Jill

      Delete
  14. Man, did I enjoy this post! You have an absolutely beautiful, collected home. I can tell it is full of things that you love and have purchased over time. You and Holly Mathis are my favorite bloggers and I so wish y'all could blog more often. But I understand, you do have a life.

    I follow quite a few bloggers and I can't tell you how tired I am of reading about "staging" the porch for spring, "creating" a tablescape for yet another holiday and the "wonderful" custom linen drapes that a sponsor provided for an honest review (I bought a pair of those drapes - they were AWFUL!).

    Whew, I feel better after that rant! Oh, and please don't paint that pine chest, it is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Holly too - and am privileged to call her a friend! I consider it a compliment to be put in the same category as her!
      xo~

      Delete
  15. I enjoy your blog! Where is your coffee table from? I want one in that style, but the only one I've seen is at Arhaus and it seems enormous. Your house looks great, I love the little bamboo & cane table too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love what you said at the beginning. I have felt that way for quite a while and even went on a mini rant on an One Room Challenge follow up post I did last year. So many rooms I see on Pinterest and IG look exactly the same (I'm sure I'm not trendy and I am a small time blogger/IGer) but again maybe it's sour grapes because i don't make $$, get spotlighted on 'big" blogs or have sponsors. I don't know but I'll keep sharing my way on my little blog! And your home looks lovely and hey, I do my own stunts, too :))))) (No professional photo shoots for my blog yet!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful photos with zero pop ups! What's not to love? I did pin your bookcases, your styling is amazing:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your house. Love your words. Just beautiful. And I hate to ask about sources but in addition to your perfectly styled shelves, I can't get that articulated brass floor lamp with the black shade out of my head. I think I've seen something like that at West Elm? Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine is from Homegoods while ago, but West Elm has a great one that I have used in client projects as well.

      Delete
  19. I love the old style blogging, Jill. It was so nice to see your home today in photos larger than the instagram square. I love people who keep it real, and am super disappointed in all the ads and staging that goes on. Instagram is changing as well, I no longer see my favorite instagrammers because the more popular accounts I follow always appear in my feed. It's super annoying. Anyway, I enjoyed this post today and always look forward to your pics and thoughts.
    Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm new to your blog and I'm not even sure how that happened!? Your home is lovely and your philosophy on blogging is 100% mine too! So looking forward to checking out the rest of your blog! Thank you Emily for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your second paragraph just got you a new follower. I love your home and fully appreciate your mindset. I'm happy to wait for quality posts.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Curious if you bought your pine cabinet from The Yellow House in Macon, GA? I saw this exact cabinet(or one just like it) when the store was going out of business. My antique-loving friend and I both wanted it but had no where for it to go. And don't paint the outside but maybe the inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My cabinet was purchased from......the Goodwill! I won't paint it - tempted, but won't.
      xo~

      Delete

I always love to hear your thoughts! Please share!

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...