4.18.2011

Checking in...

hello, are you still here?

or have you left me for greener pastures....bloggers who 
post regularly, showing great home projects, remodels, and
special recipes.....?  I don't blame you,
I have been short on posts during this move.
{bear with me, I promise some good stuff is coming}

Well, we are here, in Portland - yippee!

It has been quite a journey to get to this place and I honestly
believe the hardest, most difficult parts are behind us.

Today, my girls spent their first day at their new school.  I am SO
proud of them for their positive attitudes and smiles when I picked them up 
this afternoon ~ even my crabby tween.  Their new school is a BIG
change - a private school, where they wear uniforms, no less.

I celebrated a birthday yesterday and received a new laptop - a MacBook!  
I love my new toy and am proud to say I am posting on it right now!

Our family is currently living in temporary housing - a furnished corporate 
apartment while some remodeling work is being done in our
new cottage. 

What am I up to, you ask?



I am most excited about having the kitchen cabinets and 
great room built-ins painted white!  The picture above
was taken yesterday after painters removed all
the cabinet doors. {sorry for the iPhone photo}

We are also staining the hardwood floors a warm chocolate brown.

In addition, we are tweaking the stairs and railings you see in the picture
above.  The handrails and steps will be stained to match the 
hardwood floors and the spindles will be painted white.


We will also be changing the wall colors throughout the entire house!
I usually feel pretty confident when picking paint colors
but I have struggled with just the right white! Yes, I said 'white'.

I think I finalized the main paint color today.....and I can't wait 
to show you!  It's the perfect white, with a hint of gray and I 
love it!  

In addition, carpet will be replaced, light fixtures will be changed........
all until the budget runs out!  Just kidding....

By most people's standards this home was "move-in ready" when
we purchased it.  However, we are fortunate to be able
to make it perfect for our family - with lots of paint and other
simple cosmetic changes.  

We expect to be moved into our cottage the week after Mother's Day.  I am
actually enjoying apartment living - because after months of organizing, purging, cleaning and packing, 
living in a place that is not mine, with minimal possessions, feels great.  Now don't
get me wrong.....after three more weeks of this I KNOW I will 
be eager to fluff and organize our new nest.

I also can't wait to show all you the before and after photos!

So what have you been up to?





22 comments on "Checking in..."
  1. Cant wait to see your makeover...Portland, huh...well this Southern girl has never been there. Hope you and your family love it there. Blessings, Tiff at The Cranky Queen. Please visit me sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you made the move safely...looks like some great adventures coming your way! Your new home will be wonderful, looking forward to seeing the changes you make!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great you are able to make changes before you move in! I know all to well how long it takes once you're actually in. Looking forward to more progress pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to see your new home! Glad to have you back in the pacific northwest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on the move. That is great that you are able to get so much done before you move everything in. When we moved from Portland two years ago I felt the same way about resting in a hotel until our house here was ready, but after a couple of weeks of waiting with a dog, cat and teenager, I was ready to get moved in. It does help to get some rest first though.
    I'm excited to see how everything looks with the new paint, etc.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome to Portland or Welcome home aren't you from here? I don't live to far from you.
    How exciting a new home to decorate and fluff.It all sounds so perfect, can't wait to see it
    Now you can get to the Tarte Sale, Barn House sale and a Fabulous French Brocante in the fall~Cheers Kim

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't wait to see what's ahead for you. Sounds very exciting and like it will be a dream house! Good luck and happy tweaking! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on your safe move to your lovely new home! You are so lucky to be able to get all of these things done before you bring in furniture. That would be a dream in my world :). Are you planning a May move-in?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't wait to see all you do on the new house. Too bad you left - they are saying we could get 3" of snow today! Will this madness ever end. It's good to have you back among us. You will love the Mac. I have MacBook Pro and will never have anything other than a Mac again. Keep writing - we missed you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. how nice that you can have all this done and not be in the house at the time. i can't wait to see what the finished project will look like. you have amazing taste so i just know it will be beautiful. i am having my ugly old cabinets painted in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, you have been so busy! I cannot wait to see how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Jill, I can't wait to see it when it's done. It's going to be gorgeous! I am glad your girls did great at thier new school! It sounds like you are super busy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I completely understand! I'm horrible at posting regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jill,
    Getting there was the tuff part, now you are on the downhill slide!
    Having things done when you move in will take a lot of stress off. Can't wait to see what it all looks like once you are in and settled! Your other home was gorgeus and I know this one will be the same! I'm sure it feels good to be back home!
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's going to be beautiful! Can't wait to see it with all of your special touches. It sounds like your girls are adjusting very well so far - I can just tell you are a great Mom and the four of you are a solid family - that makes all the difference in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am sitting at the gate
    in San Antonio, waiting to
    board my flight home, where
    there is fresh snow. I know
    you must miss that!! Loved
    the sneak peek. I know what
    you mean about the apartment
    being freeing....for a while : )
    xx Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  17. So glad that you all are half-way settled in at least! lol! Love seeing the progress in your new home! :) Have a blessed Easter!

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Welcome to Portland, you are jumping right in and getting to work!! I'm going to enjoy following along! Janell

    ReplyDelete
  19. thinking of you friend. hope the transition has been good and things are going well. hope you are missing US! hawaii was great. oh and can't believe Kasey is living MY dream. WHAT? i want to move to hawaii for a year! that's nuts. keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  20. packing and purging sounds wonderful to me right now.

    The changes on the new cottage sound SSSooo fun. You'll have it lookin Jill-cozy in no time.

    Tell me....the tree is still standing? Isn't it.?

    ReplyDelete
  21. I would love to know more about the staining you did on the staircase banister - getting it to match your newly stained floors. Was the banister maple? We had new, darker floors put in and still have the maple banister. I've read that is is very difficult to stain. I'm contemplating going black .

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear your thoughts! Please share!

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...