7.23.2014

Exterior Paint Reveal!

I'm a regular gal, living in a regular house.  

Is it my dream home?  Honestly, no. 

However, it is a home perfect for us, right now. 

 I love that our home is... 
 in my favorite city in the whole world…. surrounded by lots of trees…..
a size that means we live in every square inch….has endless gardening potential…..
a white kitchen…..hardwood floors….. our own...

Photo taken in full sun.

When we moved in this home just over three years ago we
inherited it's exterior paint color {SW Sea Salt}.  It was a fine
color but I didn't love it as an exterior color. You can see it HERE.

Our home really was due to be painted - it's a cedar sided home
and the Sea Salt was it's original color when the home was 
built just over 10 years ago.

I stressed a lot about what color to choose.  I would have loved to have
painted it white but it just isn't practical in the Pacific Northwest -
we get so much rain and fight moss build up on our exteriors
and roofs all the time.  I knew white would be a bugger to keep clean.

As I debated color options, I made fast friends with the fellas
at my local Benjamin Moore paint dealer Powell Paint Center!
I knew I really wanted to use a quality paint product
and getting the color perfect was very important.
Lucky for me, a new Powell Paint store had opened 
very close to my home so it was so convenient
to zip in and out to get sample size colors.  I am sure
the very helpful guys at Powell Paint thought 
I was a very crazy thorough designer!


In the end, the contenders were BM Soot, BM Hale Navy and the 
ultimate winner BM Abyss which is the color you would get 
if Soot and Hale Navy had a baby.  Our trim is BM Snow White
and the door is color matched to Farrow & Ball 'Light Blue'…..
sorry, I could not justify the F&B price per gallon for my two doors.



I really love it.  I think the dark color is a nice contrast to 
the year-round greenery that surrounds our home.

We did NOT paint it ourselves - we would still be painting!
I have a great painter that I often use for clients that did 
a great job for us.  And I am very grateful to my new
local paint store Powell Paints in Cedar Mill, they were
so helpful and really educated me on the merits of outdoor
paint products - something I just did not know much about.
By using Benjamin Moore paint, I was able to have confidence 
that the color would be accurate and that the paint will 
last for many, many years.

HERE is the post I did on my inspiration for my ultimate choice.



17 comments on "Exterior Paint Reveal! "
  1. Jill, the new color of your home is great and your home is very pretty. It may not be your dream home, but I'm glad that you appreciate so many things about it. Your home would be a dream home to many people. As I read your post I couldn't help but think of the Frontline show I just saw called Poor Kids. It was heartbreaking. Young children and their families talked about being homeless and hungry. Afterward I felt so ashamed for ever complaining about the size of my house or wishing I had a nicer kitchen or another bathroom. I am so lucky to have a home at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous house and color!! I had a quilt of colors on the side of my house when we did renovations, very hard to choose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my favorite exterior paint transformation! love love love it! Melaine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving the color. Beautiful home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like your color choices. I think the house look much better now, not that it was bad to begin with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done! I love your topiaries too. Can I ask what type of plant they are?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the new color! I also really appreciated reading the post from 2011 when you bought the house. We're going through a stressful time right now with similarities and I hope to move back to "home" but it seems impossible right now so it was nice to read that your stressful time worked out and that you're where you want to be now. That really helped.
    xo jonni xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hang in there! I am sorry you are going through the stress, it's such a bummer. I hope you are able to move 'home' too!
      xo~Jill

      Delete
  8. It's beautiful! Our house (in the PNW) is white and I feel like something always needs cleaned or painted.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE it, Jill...it looks amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jill, the house looks awesome! Love the colors, and the doors are great! (I admittedly have a thing for doors). So glad to find your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks great Jill.....I almost painted mine gray for that very reason....but I had had the taupe for so long I was ready to lighten up!

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear your thoughts! Please share!

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...