4.28.2010

Fabulous or Flop?



Restoration Hardware's new products are just so fabulous! But yesterday when my catalog arrived and this chair was pictured on the cover, my first reaction was...yuck! But later I took another look and could really appreciate it's unusual lines - it would make a great statement piece in a library or living room.

What do you think? Is it a hit or miss? Would you use it in your home?

post signature

19 comments on "Fabulous or Flop?"
  1. I like your reaction, yuck but then maybe. It is interesting, I think my kids would enjoy it more. They would think of it as a perfect tv chair that they could hide in. Me, I like all but the top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting but Ugly! If one were looking for a conversation piece- this is definitely that.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally......I can't stand it! Really, really ugly....but I adore most of their other furniture :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. It would be great for a really drafty room I think! I'm with you, I really don't think I'd want it if someone gave it to me. The top is too weird for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ummm.....it looks like the chairs you ride in on the Haunted House at Disneyland. Blech!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought the same thing Jill! I really wanted to like it, but I picture it being in purple velvet or something. Love the fabric and the lines of the bottom half, but that "eggy" top is just kind of strange. Maybe in a 2 story library/man room?? Loved so many other things in that catalog though! I am in love with the big coffee table on wheels!

    By the way, I totally think your decision to go to Emma's soccer tournament rocked!

    Have a great day friend! Allie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Horchow has been carrying them for ages... didn't love them then, still don't care for them now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i haven't had a chance to flip thru the catalog but it was a thick one! The chair is pretty but not my style.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maybe I would like it in a different color but as is I'm not a fan.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A little too funky for my taste, but I could see my husband loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't know about this one. I've seen antique chairs similar to this one, so I think there's something cool about it, but it's very odd at the same time. I don't think it would be very comfortable, do you? I'd be paranoid about someone sneak up behind me! :) I know this much, I wouldn't pay what RH is charging for it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hate it. I don't know who decided it should be on the cover either. I wonder how many they will sell ~ to me, it doesn't go with the rest of their "look" but I loved everything else in the catalogue! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. it's a piece that all the designers and industry folks are promoting, but if the consumers don't like it, is it still a great piece? i suppose everything has it's place.

    ReplyDelete
  14. not a fan of the hood detail - from the "waist" down I like it! It is different...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I personally wouldn't choose this chair for my own home, but that doesn't mean that I don't appreciate the design! For my own home, I'd definitely purchase it if the top were just taken off. Love the wood, love the fabric, love the lines of the chair. Even with the rounded top, it's still a very sculptural piece (I tend to look at lines and texture first when noticing decor) and isn't the norm. Those things alone make me take another look. I can imagine this as a "traditional" element in a modern library space in a very clean-lined home -- like an architect would have. The juxtaposition there would be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Um....looks kinda regal like.
    I think it's over the top for sure.

    hugs
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a porter's chair. They were
    typically woven out of cane. In earlier years when houses didn't have doorbells, a porter would sit outside on the porch to welcome guests/visitors and then let the homeowner know they had company. The chairs are large with wrap around sides to block the wind and other weather elements.

    ReplyDelete
  18. yah, not so much.....

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear your thoughts! Please share!

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...