10.26.2010

Baking is in my blood!



Baking is in my blood. Both my grandmother and mother cooked simple, mostly convenient meals. However, fresh baked goods were always plentiful and a necessary part of every holiday.

I love to cook and bake. One my girls also loves to cook and bake {the other does not and will tell you so...well, because she is 12}. So this weekend me and my little sous chef spent our Sunday baking Grandma Vivian's cut-out sugar cookies.

When I was a child, my mom made these cookies cut into pumpkin shapes at Halloween, hearts on Valentine's Day and santa's, stars and bells at Christmas. I do the same now with my girls - I love tradition! And my Grandma Vivian was a special lady and I love to tell my girls about her while we are baking her cookies.....



I make frosting using powdered sugar and milk - easy breezy! Of course, our frosting had to be orange for our pumpkins!


My little chef always pays a great attention to details and decorated her cookies extra special - especially those she was bringing to her teacher the next day!


I have shared this recipe with many friends who say it's the best sugar cookie recipe they have ever had. Today, I will share it with you! Enjoy!



Grandma Vivian's Sugar Cookies


1 cup shortening {i know it's unhealthy, deal with it}

1 cup margarine {ditto}

1 cup powdered sugar

1 cup white sugar

2 eggs beaten lightly

2 teaspoons baking soda

1 teaspoon cream of tartar

4 cups flour


Mix all ingredients. Chill dough before rolling and cutting OR just make individual cookies into balls, roll in sugar, press with fork and bake.


Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.




8 comments on "Baking is in my blood!"
  1. can i just tell you that homemade sugar cookies with glazed icing are my favorite dessert in the whole wide world
    oh my

    may need to make these very soon!

    off to grab a recipe card

    ps...i have no idea the name of the booth that i purchased the little quote canvas from.
    paid cash & was too busy chatting to take note...
    sorry :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Printing
    this recipe
    out as I write.
    Sugar cookies
    can be dicey,
    so I'm happy
    to have one that
    is tried and true!
    The one we use
    for X-mas cut-outs
    don't look as thin
    as these, so I'll
    look forward to
    trying them. Love
    your little helper!!
    xx Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be waiting for a batch in the mail...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will definitely be trying these! They look fabulous and are so festive for the holiday. I may make them as a surprise for the boys this weekend to celebrate on Sunday...
    Thanks for sharing a recipe that is so close to your heart. It is funny though, that sugar cookie lover isn't making her own. I mean, if she loves sugar cookies so much... ;P
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, such memories! Reading this put a smile on my face! We love making Grandma's cookies too. Isaac loves to cook/bake too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have inspired me to make my Mom's cookies. It was going to be her banana bread this weekend but now it probably will be her sugar cookies AND B bread. Thank for passing it on to the next generation I know she is smiling down on all of us. Aunt G

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUM.. My daughter made this this am. Just had one and it was soooo good..
    Thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this dear daughter! Your Gma would be so proud . . . as am I! Love you.

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear your thoughts! Please share!

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...