7.06.2009

Cottagewood Celebrates the 4th of July!!!

First, I must recognize a milestone here at Forever*Cottage - I have 50 Followers!!! Let me just say, I appreciate each and every one of you. I read so many blogs - and aspire to make this blog MORE - so thanks for your support and inspiring me to be creative in my home and in my life.

As I have mentioned before. I live in a neighborhood called Cottagewood. We moved here almost a year and half ago. While the Forever*Cottage was not our ideal home, we knew immediately that this neighborhood was for us! At the center of the neighborhood is the Cottagewood General Store - dating back to 1895, the store is now owned by the community through the establishment of a community foundation.

The Cottagewood General Store is open April through October and is the neighborhood gathering place. For the adults, a place to enjoy a cup of coffee, a latte, and sandwich or salad. For kids, it is a place to ride your bike and pick out candy from the wall of choices, have smoothie or ice cream cone. The store even serves pop in the old glass bottles!

Every Friday night, the neighborhood gathers at "the Store" for Grill Night - a weekly cookout ($6.00 buys your a hamburger or hot dog, a bag of chips, potato salad and a drink). Grill nights give mom's a much needed night off from cooking dinner and a chance to connect with neighbors and friends while the kids play in the park.

Celebrating the 4th of July at the Cottagewood General Store is a longstanding tradition in our area. The festivities begin with a bike/wagon/golf cart parade (see pics below) and continues with games in the park, cookout, music, popcorn, face painting, the reading of the Declaration of Independence and a raffle to benefit the Store.



My girls are ready for the bike parade!


The Cottagewood General Store!














And yes, hats - there seemed to be lots of hats!!!


post signature

1 comment on "Cottagewood Celebrates the 4th of July!!!"
  1. What a wonderful way to spend the 4th of July! I love all the red, white and blue spirit. The neighborhood I grew up in back in Michigan had a corner store. I loved walking with neighborhood friends to get candy or ice cream ~ such great memories!

    Jo

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear your thoughts! Please share!

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...