11.21.2013

Tomato Basil Soup.....


We are heading into the holiday season which means lots
of rich foods and sweet treats.  And while I love to indulge as 
much as the next person, I also like to weave in some 
healthy, lighter dinners for my family during the season.

This tomato-basil soup recipe is a favorite!
I serve it with cheese toasts and a caesar salad.


Tomato-Basil Soup
{adapted from Portland's Palate - Junior League cookbook}

1/4 cup butter, plus 2 tablespoons, divided
5 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped and divided 
1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
6 garlic cloves, minced and divided
3 {28 ounce} cans Italian plum tomatoes
Salt and Pepper

1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
2 cups chicken broth

In large saucepan over medium heat, melt 1/4 cup butter.  Add 3 
tablespoons basil, chopped onion and 4 cloves garlic.  Cook until tender,
about 15 minutes.  pour in tomatoes and their liquid.  Simmer
uncovered for 30 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper.

* Now - use either an immersion blender {THE best kitchen gadget}
or food processor to puree tomato mixture.  Return mixture
to saucepan {if you used a food processor}.

In small saucepan over medium heat, melt remaining 2 tablespoons
butter.  Add remaining 2 tablespoons basil, garlic and Italian seasonings
and saute for 5 minutes.  Combine sauteed herbs with chicken broth
and tomato mixture.  Simmer until heated through.


I am having a hard time getting my head around the fact
that next week is Thanksgiving! It really is my
favorite holiday.  I love the pause, the time
with family, the food........but geez, isn't it still September?


Happy Thursday!
3 comments on "Tomato Basil Soup....."
  1. I just had Panera's version for lunch and now pinned yours so I can try to make it myself. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just printed out the recipe to try this week. I bet it smells divine! Does it freeze well? I'd love to be able to make a huge batch and freeze some for later.

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear your thoughts! Please share!

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...