6.25.2013

Who says you need a sofa?


via
I have always loved a conversation 
grouping like the one pictured above.

So, when clients asked me to 
help them with the design for a VERY awkward living space
{holy cow, two spaces with a fireplace smack
in the middle!}, I knew I had found the opportunity to design {half}
 the room without a sofa.  The room is asymmetrical, has no
less than 5 doorways, 2 windows and did I mention
a fireplace sort of in the middle of it all?

To be perfectly fair, the home is a lovely old
farmhouse that has been updated, although
somewhat awkwardly.  This project, like any,
has it's challenges and this room/s is one of them!
The homeowner prefers warm 'fall' colors and wants
a 'sophisticated' farmhouse look.  

So what do you think?  Does designing a room without a sofa
scare you?  Or like me, do you find this kind
of grouping inviting and cozy?

5 comments on "Who says you need a sofa?"
  1. I have seen this done and love it! In actuality, many of us prefer having our very own seating and don't enjoy sharing a sofa. It is nice to have your own chair in a room and may end up being the preferred half of the room. Great idea!

    Blessings ~ Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. We recently bought a house with the most ill-designed family room... I was just saying to my husband that I thought the only furniture remedy is 4 chairs in a similar configuration to what you show above. The only problem is that we have five children, so that means several people will be out of luck on chairs. sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of four chairs...I think as long as you have a sofa in another room..you know for catnaps and such. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally love it !! If my living room was wider I would do this in a heartbeat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think a chair grouping
    is actually more intimate
    for two couples to visit
    versus a sofa facing two
    chairs. If I had a "formal"
    living room, I'd definitely
    consider it.

    I bet you are really having
    F U N with this one....I like
    your mood boards!

    xo Suzanne

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear your thoughts! Please share!

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...